You see him for the first time and he’ll walk right past you like you’re a piece of chewing gum on the bottom of his shoe, completely obliterating your existence, but you see him in the crowd and just know he’s going to mean the world to you someday.
It’s five in the goddamn morning and you’re both screaming at the top of your lungs in frustration fighting back tears. In that moment you proved to yourself, and to him, that what you have is worth fighting for. With love comes heartache, but my god you need to make sure he knows you love him. You mutter it under your breath and he looks at you and just knows. Without hesitation he grabs your face, pushes your hair out of your eyes and says ‘I love you, too.’
When he’s sprawled out with his head on your lap shaking with frustration you’ll wonder how someone whose heart possess enough love to rid the world of war could hate himself so immensely or how a man who looked like he carried the world on his shoulders could crumble so easily.
You’ll find comfort in abandoned galleries where art used to consume the walls because now his love consumes the walls of your heart. Maybe it’s the way his eyes light up the room or the way his smile melts your heart. Or maybe it’s how his laugh has become your favorite sound or the way he caressed your cheek and goosebumps filled your skin. And then there’s his voice… he could make you do anything with that voice.
He’ll lay next to you running his fingers down the spine of your back like he is writing a book of his love for you, binding the words together in a perfect poem and you’ll lie awake at three in the morning while your head runs wild with thoughts of him.
He doesn’t believe in God and even if he did there is no place in heaven for him because the way your lips fit perfectly around his neck takes him to a place he’ll never forget.
1. Who you are now is not who you will be in 10 years. It is okay to be somebody new 10 minutes from now. We are always learning. We are always growing. If you realized 10 seconds ago that you don’t like who you are, shed your skin, retry, replant yourself in good soil.
2. Cleaning is instant therapy. When your brain is muddy, take a shower, wash your hands, change your clothes. Spend 15 minutes straightening your living room. When you are angry, scrub things. I know it’s crazy but it works instantly.
3. Forgive someone’s debt if it’s under 50 dollars, forgive the small things, give a little time to yourself and forgive the big things too. Forgiveness isn’t about the other person, it’s about you. That being said - if someone ever hurts you in a way that would make me cry to know, you get out of there, my love. You just get up and go.
4. Gum karma is real and if you spit out a piece in public expect to find some on your shoe in the future. Same goes for insults and harsh judgement, too.
5. Do what you love and the money will follow.
6. Live your life with an open palm and give as much as you can and as often. At some point in your life, someone will lend you 50 bucks when you’re down on your luck. Remember how that feels. Remember to give that back.
7. Always wear clean underwear. You’ll thank me later.
8. There is a difference between being kind and being passive and there are those who cannot see that difference. They will try to walk all over you. Never bend your knees for those who do.
9. Have faith. Have faith in god or people or yourself or science or in luck or in all of the above. Faith is what keeps us going, faith is what keeps us strong.
10. Pay your bills on time whenever you can, although money is nothing. Remind yourself that.
11. Do not forget you were once ignorant of all you know now. Be patient of anyone who hasn’t had the education you have. Speak at the level of the person you are with - it’s not playing dumb, it’s being considerate. There’s no reason to make them feel uncomfortable. Plus then when someone starts going off about their superior IQ, you can cut them to pieces and watch their face when you do.
12. You are the best person in the room for one particular thing, and that’s confidence. You are the worst person in the room for another thing, and that’s humility. Use both carefully.
13. Never make fun of someone’s beliefs or superstitions, let your kid keep their imaginary friend and let your best buddy believe in knocking on wood. We all have security blankets. Don’t take away someone else’s.
14. Try to learn something new every day.
15. The worse you look, the more likely you are to run into someone you know so instead of feeling awkward, learn to be confident in sweats while talking to your friends.
16. Never go to bed angry, it will ruin your sleep and make tomorrow even harder. Find a way to relax. Don’t let today get to your head.
17. Think before you speak. When someone says something, mull over their words before answering. This is called listening, it is different than hearing.
18. What keeps love beautiful is that there’s risk involved. If he breaks your heart and it doesn’t hurt, it wasn’t love in the first place.
19. Never let someone else determine who you are or how happy. You are too strong to be torn apart.
20. I love you, even when we are fighting, even when I am fast asleep. Don’t doubt it for an instant. You are my everything.
Life lessons my mother has taught me from the side of her hospital bed (part 2/2 of a series) /// r.i.d (via inkskinned)
Isn’t it fucking terrifying that no matter how many promises they made, no matter how long you’ve been together, someone can get up and walk out of your life without a second thought and you have to carry on living because the world doesn’t stop for any of us
Always treat her with kindness, love her in a way that makes her feel appreciated each and every single day. Make sure you remind her frequently that she means the world to you, that she’s the love of your life, remind her how much she means to you. Because when you stop showing love, and you stop pouring your heart out to her like you used to, she’s going to feel like you have taken her for granted. So be there for her, always. Listen, and pay attention to her. The best gift you can give her isn’t something you can buy. It’s your dedication towards her, it’s reassurance that you still love her, it’s your presence, it’s being the person she can turn to for anything, even if it’s just for comfort. That’s what relationships are all about, being there for that person when they need you. Just be there for her, through her ups and downs, be there.